Saturday, March 26, 2011

March Madness Baby!

I'm no regular follower of US-NCAA basketball but man, I've been hearing a lot about the on going tourney and seems like it's one of the more exciting in years. So many close games and very few blowouts (which is a normal thing in tournaments like these). College basketball fans should be in a giddy! NBA scouts are all over the place as well! Exciting times for basketball as a sport. :)

I'm just hoping college basketball goes up to this level in the Philippines. I love the fact that UAAP and NCAA have become so popular that games are now televised LIVE. I remember the time when UAAP games were not televised and only championships were the only one's shown on TV - unfortunately, on delayed telecast!

With the rise of technology and social media these days, game information will forever be available. I remember following Ateneo games over twitter whenever I'm at work - shouting out when Ateneo held on for the win against FEU in the championship. Can't deny that college basketball right now is at it's peak but we need to realize that we're only focusing on the Manila teams and we don't have a "National Champion" - which the NCAA takes pride in unifying all leagues.

We do have the Champions' League (PCCL) and yeah, it has slowly grown to prominence - but I guess it will really take time for all these leagues to be aggregated into just one system. What's happening now is it becomes a "post-season" tournament where teams can strut their wares against opponents from other leagues and the title of "National Champion" doesn't have that attention just yet.

I hope a lot of time and funding can go into the PCCL. I want them to unify rules across all leagues so that when the tournament starts, we're all in the same page, footing etc.

I see Ateneo being the Duke counterpart of the NCAA. How about the other teams? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment